My next podcast guest is a remarkable woman and lawyer. This episode makes me feel recharged, happy, and I am grateful that Michelle shared her experience and what she has learned from being a lawyer on the My Natural Beet Podcast.
Whether you are a young lawyer, a mom, a busy professional or anything in between, I feel certain that something Michelle shared will resonate with you. Whether it is learning where and how she began her career as a lawyer, what she does for a quick recharge, how she deals with difficult colleagues, or what makes her feel her happiest self, this episode is full of jewels of wisdom.
A few of my favorite take-aways from the conversation include her excitement to "open more doors for women and hopefully more will follow" on her recent election to be the President-Elect Designate of the Florida Bar, the importance of "giving up the idea of perfection," and the importance of taking "time for yourself" even when you are a busy professional.
Who: Michelle Suskauer, President-Elect Designate of the Florida Bar and criminal defense attorney.
Where: She is located in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, USA.
When: 10 May 2017
What we explore together:
- When and Why Michelle moved to Florida
- Her first job as a public defender
- On keeping an open mind in law school and how that led her to follow what classes resonated best with her - trial work and criminal procedure
- What is most gratifying in her work
- Myths associated with being a criminal defense attorney
- Recent election of the Florida Bar president-elect designate
- The Bar's role as a mandatory membership organization
- How technology has impacted the legal profession and how, in some instances, it can make the practice of law unenjoyable
- What Michelle does for a quick recharge
- Her favorite way to start the day
- Figuring out your individual balance as a lawyer
- The importance of taking time for yourself
- Her advice for busy, stressed young lawyers
- What is her most important daily practice
- How to deal with a difficult colleague
How Michelle explores
- The world: Michelle loves to travel and any opportunity she gets to do that, she does!
- Her mind: She would like to practice more meditation in terms of mindfulness.
- Her body: Eating clean and healthy is important to her, she's loves to go to the farmers market with her family.
- Her spirit: She feels happiest when she is watching her two girls do what they love.
The one activity, habit, behavior that makes Michelle feel in her Natural Beet is
being outside and reconnecting with nature.
Links mentioned or referred to:
- Suskauer | Feuer, Michelle's Legal Practice
- Florida Association for Women Lawyer's
- Legal Aid Society
- Florida Bar
- "As an attorney I have the power to impact so many lives and it's a wonderful positive power." - on being an attorney
- " Of course, to achieve this level of leadership is unbelievable and of course a pinnacle for me and my career so far." - on being elected to leadership of the Florida Bar
- "We have only had five women who have led the Florida Bar."
- "I think it is important (Women make up 38% of the Florida Bar) that we have strong women leadership."
- "I am so excited to be able to open more doors for women and hopefully more will follow."
- "We don't have downtime, we don't get a break" - on the demands of practicing law with modern technology
- "We must start the conversation" - on the wellbeing of lawyers and lawyers asking for help when they need it
- "I think what is very important is to give up the idea of perfection."
- "We have to be satisfied with what we can do as long as we are doing your best."
- "I'm not going to be a perfect lawyer." - on giving up the idea of perfection
- "It's important to take time for yourself."
- "As a young lawyer you think you know everything."
- "Get involved with voluntary bar organizations and organizations in your community." - advice to young lawyers
- "It's not just working but being connected to your community and your legal community." - on practicing law
- "To not apologize for anything that you have to do for work" - on being a working mother and a lawyer
- "Never apologize for who you are or what you want." - yes!
A huge shout out to Na'an Stop the jammin' band from Boulder, Colorado for the accompanying podcast music. Their music makes you feel good and want to get up and dance!
Visit them on social media:
Thank you again, Michelle, for spending the time with me and for sharing some of what you have learned throughout your career.
If this episode was inspiring, made you laugh, or gave you something new to think about consider sharing it with a friend, colleague, leaving a comment below, on instagram, or leave a review on iTunes. The more the merrier, my friends! And if you want to Nominate a Guest to be on the Podcast, please do.
Hasta la próxima,