Today's guest is a mama bird, lawyer who loves to travel the world and explore new surroundings. We were introduced by a mutual friend, thank you Ashley!, and I felt instantly comfortable and as if I had known her for ages from the moment we synced up. Her energy is contagious and from her we can learn oh-so-much. For example, she reminds us to ask ourselves what we really want (out of life and career), how to always choose positivity - in this moment - and how to approach challenging set backs.
As you will hear, Okeoma has her own podcast called The Happy Lawyer Project where she helps lawyers find their "happy." Even if you are not a lawyer, this podcast has something for you. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
Who: Okeoma Moronu Schreiner of The Happy Lawyer Project
Where: She is located in Dallas, Texas.
When: 20th of May 2017
What we explore together:
- Where Okeoma lives currently
- How she stays busy
- Why she loves to talk about money
- Whether or not she knew type of law she wanted to practice while in law school
- Working in big law in NYC
- Working through limiting beliefs
- How her podcast, The Happy Lawyer Project, was born and how she is helping lawyers find their “happy”
- How she deals with perceived set backs or challenges
Listen and subscribe in iTunes:
How Okeoma explores:
The world: “Often and will great enthusiasm!” Okeoma loves to travel and has seen much of the world.
Her mind: She is a voracious reader. She meditates, like journaling, keeping a gratitude journal, and attending wellness retreats.
Her body: The top two ways she cares for her body is through sleep and rest. She is grateful and in awe of her wonderful body and she moves, she chases her kids around!
Her spirit: She lives a joyful life and she makes it a priority to fill her life full of light.
The one activity, habit, behavior, though that makes Okeoma feel in her Natural Beet is the thought
“What are you choosing now?”
Whenever she feels stuck, unsure, or wants to know where she is going she asks herself this question. By doing that, she feels empowered and makes a conscious choice about how she is going to feel.
Links mentioned or referred to:
- The Happy Lawyer Project Facebook page
- The Happy Lawyer Project Podcast
- The Happy Lawyer Project YouTube
- Student Loan Conqueror Okeoma Moronu Schreiner has paid off $140K
- TAKE AWAYS // QUOTABLES:
· “I have always been a hard worker.”
· “I continue to be a learner.”
· “I worked at a big firm off wall street.”
· “I think some lawyers, in my experience, quit instead of resting.”
· “The only way the legal industry is going to get more diverse and is going to change is if different people stay.”
· “There is so much to learn from other people.”
· “As lawyers, and as women, we tend to look outside for answers.”
· “Okeoma magic” – what is referred to in her household as when the universe conspires to make your day better and when you give appreciation for it
· “You teach your brain that you care about these things so your brain puts more of them in front of you.”
· “Separate and uncouple my sense of self from external events and how other people kind of perceive me.”
· “Did I do the best work I could? Because if I didn’t maybe some of the criticism is deserved. And if I did, then where is the misalignment between what I thought was good work and what somebody was expecting from me.” - on dealing with approaching set backs
· “You have to have confidence in your work product and a sense of what the expectation is from the person who is going to be judging that work product.”
A huge shout out to Na'an Stop the jammin' band from Boulder, Colorado for the accompanying podcast music. Their music makes you feel good and want to get up and dance!
Photo credit: https://twitter.com/naanstopmusic & http://www.boulderweekly.com/entertainment/music/green-light-for-boulder-band-naan-stop/edit:
Visit them on social media:
That's all for this episode, folks. Thank you again, Okeoma, for being a part of the MNB podcast. I look forward to seeing you soon, somewhere in the world! If this episode was inspiring, made you laugh, or gave you something new to think about consider sharing it with a friend, leaving a comment below, on instagram, or leave a review on iTunes. The more the merrier :) If you have a guest in mind, please remember to visit the "Nominate a Guest" page!