HI! I am happy to unveil the first episode of the My Natural Beet Podcast. This podcast is designed to inspire and encourage exploration of the world and of your mind, body, and spirit whilst celebrating and connecting strong, courageous individuals full of moxie from around the world one conversation at a time.
My why behind this podcast is to showcase the creative and good work being done around the world while learning and documenting the stories, lessons, and experiences from my guests. I love to listen so get ready to learn! If this podcast shines light on something or somewhere that you would like to explore further, try, or experience then I feel happy because a goal of mine was met. Exposure to ideas, others, and ways of life can make all the difference!
A huge shout out to Na'an Stop the jammin' band from Boulder, Colorado for the accompanying podcast music. Their music makes you feel good and want to get up and dance!
Photo credit: http://www.careercontessa.com/interviews/jessica-murnane-one-part-plant/
Who: Jessica Murnane of One Part Plant
Where: She is located in Charleston, South Carolina, USA.
When: 3 May 2017
What we explore together:
- Where Jess calls home currently
- Her experience with endometriosis and how it was the impetus for a huge change in her life (diet, career)
- Initial resistance to accepting this new way of eating and finally coming to terms with the fact that this, plant-based life, works best for her and is for her
- How she figured out how to bridge familial and friend food traditions with her new plant-based lifestyle
- Learning to become more critical of headlines & medical claims on health magazines or from any source
- The work that Jess does in collaboration with the Endometriosis Foundation of America to educate young women about endometriosis
- Getting the One Part Plant Message out
- The importance of spending more time off-line, disconnect, and speak at live events
- When she feels most confident
Listen and subscribe in iTunes:
How Jessica explores
- The world: She loves to travel by herself. It gives her a new sense of confidence.
- Her mind: Kundalini, putting her phone away, morning meditation
- Her body: focusing on the awareness of "being in my body" when exercising instead of thinking "I am bored," she likes to jump on her trampoline i.e. rebounding
- Her spirit: Kundalini, connecting to people through her podcast or when giving talks
The one activity, habit, behavior that makes Jessica feel in her Natural Beet is, of course,
eating one plant based meal a day!
Links mentioned or referred to:
- Her website, Jessica Murnane
- Jessica recorded her experience creating her cookbook
- Certificate in Plant Based Nutrition with T. Colin Campbell
- Forks Over Knifes
- Hungry for Change
- Endometriosis Foundation of America
- Material Girl, Mystic World - Ruby Warrington
TAKE AWAY QUOTABLES:
- "I couldn't deny that it was working." - on her change to a plant-based diet
- "It takes a woman an average of 10 years to be diagnosed with endometriosis." -
- "Just go out and do it." - on giving talks about your passion or education/helping in your community
- "There is something about traveling alone that gives you a new confidence in yourself."
- "I feel my best when I take the time to meditate."
- "You can continue to feel like this or you can do something about it." - on not feeling like yourself and getting up early to practice meditation
- "Like anything it is going to kind hard at first." - on getting up early in the am to meditate
- "This is an opportunity for me to just be in my body." - on how she appreciates exercise instead of thinking it is boring
- "Finding out what foods make you feel good." - on healthy eating
If this episode was inspiring, made you laugh, or gave you something new to think about consider sharing it with a friend, leaving a comment below, on instagram, or leave a review on iTunes. The more the merrier :)
Until the next time,