Welcoming this darling chef to the MNBP!
Inês and I became fast gal pals who will one day cook delicious food together and explore new areas :) We were initially in contact when I volunteered to become a recipe tester for her cookbook. As you will hear in this episode, that quickly became a busy time for her! Inês has a sweet voice and a positive outlook on life. I am excited for when her book, "Como assim, vegan?" is translated from Portuguese into English - I will be one of the first in line!
This episode is good for anyone interested in dabbling with veganism, learning more about it, and learning how Inês created her cookbook.
Who: Inês David
Where: In her hometown of Almada, Portugal
When: 4 July 2017
What we explore together:
· What she is currently working on and what she did prior to writing her cookbook
· The process of creating her recently published cookbook, "Como assim,vegan?"
· How and where she gets inspired to create vegan food
· What led her to life a plant-based vegan lifestyle
· Suggestions if you would like to dabble!
Listen and subscribe in iTunes:
How Inês explores
With an open mind.
"I always go to everything with an open mind."
"Don’t be afraid and go without any prejudices against others and others people."
Go with the flow ~
"My mind can be very troubled, I overthink everything. I try to be careful with my mind because I know that I tend to be this way so I try to not overthink things and just know that I don’t have control over most things."
"When I feel I am comfortable in my skin that’s when I’m the best version of myself."
"I feel really connected to my body all of the time. I really listen to it. I really like to stay active. I really like to exercise. I need to move."
“It’s a matter of being connected to the world around you.”
“I am really about feelings.”
"It’s related to my mind, I am very sensitive to things. Sometimes I can feel something is wrong with someone."
"I try to embrace everything and really understand what is going on. I feel that there is this whole bubble of energy around everyone."
The one activity, habit, behavior that makes feel in her Natural Beet is:
her morning routine as it makes her feel good.
She wakes up early in the morning and her current go-to breakfast obsession is chia pudding (bonus recipe, below!). She has a glass of water, always and stretches for 5-10 minutes in the am.
Words Ines wanted to leave with us:
If you are struggling with food --
“You should try to listen to your body and stay in tune wth the environment that is surrounding you.”
“Go to the beach, you just have to have a body.”
“Just enjoy and get some vitamin D."
"Try eating vegan and stay curious, don’t try to lose weight - just listen to your body and eat lots of fruits and veggies and everything will be alright :) "
Ines was kind enough to share with us one of her recipes for a simple and delicious breakfast of chia pudding! Check it out below.
"Chia pudding is one of my favorite breakfasts. Ok, breakfast is by itself my favorite meal. So, all breakfast recipes tend to be my favorite. This one keeps me full the whole morning and it’s great in a hot summer day. We all have been waiting for those days, haven’t we?
• 40-45g chia seeds (.16-.19 cups)
• 1 cup / 250 ml of non-dairy milk (I tend to use soy or almond milk)
• 3 tbsp of coconut yogurt
1- Add chia seeds to a tall mason jar (or any glass jar).
2- Mix in milk and shake. Shake, shake, shake! At least for 30 seconds. Chia seeds tend to cluster together quickly, so this step is important.
3- Add coconut yogurt and shake again, until everything is well combined.
4 – Leave it in the fridge overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
That’s it! The best part is that in the morning, you have breakfast ready to go. All it needs are your toppings of choice. Mine are peanut butter and fresh fruit. The possibilities are endless: granola, jam, goji berries, you name it. Just something to add a little sweetness. You can also add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to the mix, but I prefer to keep mine plain and just add ripe fruit. Enjoy!"
I hope you try it - as it sounds delish :)
Links mentioned or referred to:
Website of Inês
Email to order cookbook: email@example.com
Check out cookbook here
Fridge picture article
Vegan scene in Berlin
Jessica Murnane's website
Vegan summer festival in Berlin
Meditation apps: Headspace and Calm
What the Health
- "Just explore." - on eating vegan
- "Just try and see how the food tastes." - on trying veganism
- "I am inspired by the world's cuisine." - when writing her book and cooking
- "I was mesmerized with everything."
- "I think we found our thing." - stumbling upon the vegan festival in Berlin
- "We just started experimenting." - on starting veganism
- “I’m trying to not go as much as I used to by plane.” “old school traveling” - by car and train.
- Don't be afraid of the vegan community." - encouraging anyone to tr it out
- ”It is a matter of showing up everyday. " - on meditation
- "Enjoy the moment and not overthink the future because everything will work out." - on not overthinking
- "I want to approach my mind with a relaxed mood.” - exploring her spirit
- "I accept my body for what it is but also really take care of it - nourish it as best I can, keep it moving.” - on movement
- “I really like dancing.” - on movement
A huge shout out to Na'an Stop the jammin' band from Boulder, Colorado for the accompanying podcast music. Their music makes you feel good and want to get up and dance!
Visit them on social media:
If this episode was inspiring, made you laugh, or gave you something new to think about consider sharing it with a friend and/or please leave a review on iTunes. The more the merrier my friends! And if you want to Nominate a Guest to be on the MNB Podcast, feel free to do that by clicking here.
Hasta la próxima!!