The next guest on the My Natural Beet Podcast brings years of experience in productive and positive work place communication to the conversation. He is passionate about courageous conversations and making each interaction we have with another positive, light, and to the point.
He also shared with us a little about his upcoming Florida Bar CLE approved webinar on October 20, 2017 at 18:30pm. The webinar is titled: "Getting to Reasonable" and it is about dealing with upset and generally difficult clients or colleagues.
This episode is good for anyone who needs or wants to have that important and challenging conversation with an employee/employer, anyone who is curious about how to be a more effective communicator, and anyone who would like to receive a few words on how to handle responding to someone who is acting unreasonable.
Who: David Lee
Where: Saco, Maine, USA
When: 31 August 2017
What we explore together:
- His work and how he got into organizational development and communication within the workplace especially important workplace conversations
- Practical advice for an employee who is having trouble with their boss
- His current projects including a book proposal called "Courageous Conversations 2.0" and his upcoming CLE webinar for Florida attorneys called "Getting to Reasonable."
- It is about dealing with upset and generally difficult clients, colleagues, or anyone you come across during your work day especially when they are operating in an emotional, irrational way. How can you get to the place where you can discuss rationally.
- Florida Bar CLE Webinar Time: October 20, 2017 at 6:00pm Eastern. $79.00 - Getting to Reasonable: How to Calm Down Upset and Unreasonable Clients and Get Them to Think and Communicate Rationally
- Suggestions from the school of “hard knocks” including practical advice for effective communication when someone is upset and/or unreasonable.
Listen and subscribe in iTunes:
How David explores:
A lot of it is through conversation with people.
He loves hearing stories about life experiences. Travel is something he enjoys.
His favorite exploration, though, is of the world is the world of relationships.
I am constantly reflecting and processing everyday life.
“Simple life experiences that can be a metaphor for life lessons.”
“I am super into fitness!”
He gets so jacked about his morning workout, i.e. he loves it and sometimes wakes up early because of his enthusiasm!
By doing vigorous exercise in the am, it helps him focus throughout the day. He also stresses the importance of yoga and other mobility and flexibility practices.
He does walking and driving meditations (his eyes are open!).
Yoga and chi gong help him get into that connected state. He enjoys the music of Hildegard von Bingen (see link below).
The one activity, habit, behavior that makes David feel in his Natural Beet is:
And taking care of yourself physically.
Final words David parted us with:
"Life is a mystery to be lived and not a problem to be solved."
- “Focus on how can I bring this issue up in a way that lets my boss know I get it that you are the boss… and indicates can we talk about this.” - on workplace communication
- “There is this balance of being bold enough and brave enough to bring it up but also communicating in a respectful and safe way where the boss doesn’t feel like they have to remind you who they are and who you are.” – on workplace communication
- “Obviously, my job is to bring out the best in you and I want to do that but because I am not perfect there will be things that I do that I do not bring out the best of you and maybe annoy you. So rather you gritting your teeth I appreciate you bringing it up.” – on workplace communication in a nice, inviting way
- “I was listening to this podcast and they were talking about communicating in the workplace and communicating with their boss. And I was wondering is there a way that is most appealing to you or useful to you if I have requests for you or suggestions on what works best for me in our relationship, a way for me to bring that up that feels respectful to you but is also clear and useful.” – on approaching your boss
- “Every better result you want requires a better conversation” - encouraging the conversation
- “Human beings are creatures of reciprocity.” - if someone shows us goodwill in that way, we do that but if someone is pushing their view, then we push back.
- “If we want to go into new territory in life, we need to delete unproductive beliefs, unproductive outdated maps of how the world is and install, appropriate maps that will help us navigate this new territory.” - on letting go of old and welcoming new
- “Live each day as if we are on our own heroes journey”
- “Our inner world is unceasingly fascinating!” – on being an introvert
Links mentioned to or referred to:
David's business: Human Nature At Work
Courageous Conversations That Work – if you are struggling with having a challenging conversations at work
Sign up for the CLE webinar called Getting to Reasonable: How to Calm Down Upset and Unreasonable Clients and Get Them to Think and Communicate Rationally
Hildegard von Bingen
A huge shout out to Na'an Stop the jammin' band from Boulder, Colorado for the accompanying podcast music. Their music makes you feel good and want to get up and dance!
Visit them on social media:
If this episode with David was inspiring, made you laugh, or gave you something new to think about consider sharing it with a friend and/or leaving a review on iTunes. The more the merrier my friends! And if you want to Nominate a Guest to be on the MNB Podcast, feel free to do that by clicking here.
May you be well :)